Classic Italianate rowhouse in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, 144 St James Pl was designed by George J. Bennett and built in 1901. Updated in 2017, the property's classic features were preserved, including double door parlor entry with roundarched reveal, 13’ ceilings, ornate plaster, built in floor-to-ceiling mirror, six fireplaces with marble mantels. Under two blocks from the C train at Clinton/Wasthington stop, and 2 blocks to the G train line.
Home to Pratt Institute, one of the most prestigious art schools in the United States, and once a fashionable getaway for Brooklyn’s well-to-do, Clinton Hill is a small neighborhood, squeezed in between Fort Greene, Wallabout, and Bedford Stuyvesant, well on its way back to fame. Clinton Avenue, once known as the “Millionaire’s Row,” lined with extravagant mansions from the 1880’s and 1890’s, continues to excite architectural aficionados. Clinton Hill of today is an amazingly diverse and dynamic neighborhood, subject to a true real estate development frenzy: nearly every other block is seeing a new building constructed, or an existing one restored. This holds true to many other neighborhoods in the borough, but the trend seems to be at the most robust in Clinton Hill.